Facts & Figures
Some important Facts and Figures:
- The first credit union started in Njinikom, NW Region in 1963 with a membership of 16 and a total savings of 2.100 Frs CFA. The concept rapidly spread over the North West and South West Regions.
- By 1968, there were 34 credit unions in Cameroon.
- Cameroon Cooperative Credit Union League (CamCCUL) Limited is the umbrella organ of more than 200 credit unions. It the largest micro-finance institution in Cameroon and the CEMAC region.
Source: Cameroon Cooperative Credit Union League (CamCCUL) Ltd.
- About 400 credit unions, 1,038,904 people using the sector, including 121,360 young savers
- Deposits of £807m, assets of £957m, loans of £606m,
- More than doubled membership and loans by 125% and 146% respectively
- Grew deposits and assets by 196% and 199% respectively
Source: PRA audited, annual figures 2012 and Association of British Credit Unions (ABCU) Limited
- There are more than 56,000 active credit unions in 101 countries
- There are more than 200 million credit union members
- Credit Unions have assets of approximately $1.7 trillion, Loans of approximately $1.1 trillion and deposits of about $1.3 trillion
Source: World Council of Credit Unions Statistical Report 2012